CSM 15 - All You Need to Know!
Greetings honorable citizens of New Eden,
The 15th democratic elections for the Council of Stellar Management are upon us! This blog will go over the changes that are being introduced this year and will provide you with the necessary information about the election timeline.
27 April-13 May – Submission period
28 April-15 May – Application processing
18 May – Candidate announcement
18-29 May – Campaign period
1-8 June – Voting period
12 June – CSM 15 reveal
This timeline has worked well in the past, so there are no significant differences here this year. Going through the CSM transition during summer allows enough time for comprehensive onboarding to be conducted for each member, with people new to the program able to receive the extra attention they might need before it all gets turned up to eleven for the second half of 2020!
With this strive for excellence, the program continually evolves through the introduction of changes designed for the betterment of the CSM, their role, and the benefit they offer to EVE Online players and CCP. There is much excitement here in sharing with you the changes that are going to be implemented for CSM 15:
Serving on the CSM is not an easy task, and facing the realities of fast-paced game development for the universe we love can take its toll on even the most fearless pilots in New Eden. There is also an undeniable advantage to having a fresh perspective on things that comes with new members joining the Council. The desire is to create a system that incorporates the value of having new personas without penalizing those players who find fulfillment in serving on the CSM.
For that reason, a three-year term limit is being instituted, after which a person will have to go on a one-year cooldown before being able to run for the CSM again. This rule will not be fully retroactive, but CSM 14 members will have one year counted towards their term limit, giving each person another two years of service before incurring a cooldown.
This will provide candidates with a necessary break to fly spaceships at their leisure and rekindle the love that might have been stifled while simultaneously ensuring that a confirmation bias is not fallen into by welcoming new faces into the program.
CAMPAIGN FORUM POST
To help voters get more information about candidates and challenge the applicants to think about their candidacy, the campaign forum post creation process will be formalized and considered as an integral part of everyone's application.
In the past, there have been all sorts of different posts. Some gave little insight into the type of candidate, and others focused mainly on specific changes or precise ideas players wanted to see implemented into the game. While reading your suggestions often creates discussion internally and is something to be enjoyed, being on the CSM requires thinking about EVE Online in much broader terms and rarely revolves around finally getting cat ears (kawaii!) customization options pushed through. Instead, it is hoped that the focus will shift towards people's strengths and the experiences they can bring to the table when discussing what makes them attractive candidates.
Therefore, when sending your application, you will have to create a campaign thread in the CSM section of the EVE Online forums answering the following four questions:
- Your EVE Online story.
- Your areas of expertise. In which areas of the game do you feel you are the most knowledgeable? What qualities set you apart from other candidates?
- Why are you applying for the CSM?
- What can players expect from you?
You are free to add more information and manage your campaign thread as you see fit, but the above four questions are the bare minimum that is required from everyone.
SINGLE 5-DAY SUMMIT PER TERM
CSM members devote a lot of their time to the program, and it is recognized that dedicating two more weeks on top to fly to Iceland and participate in highly intensive sessions (even if we love having them over!) is a lot to ask. Therefore, the barrier of entry will be lowered a little bit and the CSM will move to a single 5-day summit per term that is easier to plan around. By doing so, the CSM will be opened up to those individuals from the community that could not otherwise have considered running due to other important commitments.
With one summit, it will be necessary to be extremely strategic when deciding on the time to ensure everyone gets the most out of it. The efforts that are usually put into the second summit will then be spread throughout the term, making the frequent interactions between CCP and the CSM more meaningful.
CSM ROLES, EXPECTATIONS AND COC UPDATES
Several adjustments have been made to the Council of Stellar Management website to reflect the upcoming changes and to make sure that the rest of the information is clear and up to date. You are invited to read each of the sections carefully, paying close attention to the role, expectations, and the Code of Conduct that each member is expected to follow at all times.
Now, with the most significant changes covered, here's a look at the revised application requirements and a guide on how to apply.
Important disclaimer: incorrectly filed or incomplete submissions will be rejected. The rules are very clear, but if you are unsure about anything regarding the process, we are happy to answer any questions.
To be eligible for the CSM, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Your account must be older than 60 days at the time candidacy applications close.
- Characters on both Alpha and Omega accounts are eligible to run.
- You must have a history of honoring the EULA and the Terms of Service. We will screen every applicant thoroughly, and EULA/TOS violations on your record can result in a rejected application.
- You must create a campaign thread in the CSM section on EVE Online forums covering the questions listed earlier in the article.
- Your account must have updated and correct information at the time of your application. This includes your real-life name, correct date of birth, and the same email you use to submit your application. To view and edit this information go to the account management website.
- Candidates must have reached 18 years of age. If the legal adult age in your home country (the age at which you have the legal capacity to enter into a contract) is higher than 18, that number applies instead.
- As an applicant, you must consent to provide your personal details to CCP, including your real name and a copy of your passport. CCP needs to affirm your real-life identity for NDA contract purposes, and the ability to travel to a summit in Iceland is a key function of the CSM.
- If you do not currently have a valid passport, we will accept a picture/scan of a valid and approved passport application accompanied by a picture of your driver's license.
- You must consent to share your country of origin with the EVE community and having it displayed on the EVE Online website. You will not be required to share any other personal information with the EVE community.
- If you are running as an "alt" and you control a character that has a reputation in the EVE universe, CCP may require you to run under that identity at its full discretion.
*All personal data will be handled in accordance with European data protection and processing laws.
HOW TO APPLY
There are two steps to applying:
- Fill in the application form between 27 April – 13 May. Beware session time-outs and make sure to save your text in a document. If you don't get a confirmation, re-enter the information and try again.
- Submit your document scans/pictures to email@example.com in high-quality with the subject "CSM 15 application". Both steps need to be completed within the submission window.
- Remember that applications cannot be edited after you submit them, so make sure your information is correct!
- All applicants will receive an email from the EVE Community Team, confirming their submission went through, and that the documents have been received successfully within a few days.
We look forward to receiving your applications and following all campaigns. At CCP, we feel we are stronger and do a better job of developing and maintaining EVE with the CSM by our side. By banding together with our players with common purpose and resolve, and by communicating with each other in a straightforward manner, we can realize our shared ambitions for the intrepid future of EVE Online.
Huge thanks to all who support the CSM project and vote for their favorite candidates every year!