CSM 17 Elections - Announcement
Noble Citizens of New Eden,
It is once again the time of year when we set out to assemble the next Council of Stellar Management, which will closely collaborate with CCP Games in the ongoing development of EVE Online. The democratic elections we are about to embark on are a unique tool within the gaming industry, providing unparalleled access to developers and embodying the tremendous value we see in shaping the future of the game hand-in-hand with the players who have shaped the world and history of EVE into what it is today. We cannot express enough how deeply appreciative we are for the dedication and passion the EVE community has demonstrated in the game’s nearly nineteen years, and for every invaluable player who is ready and willing to offer their time and work with us to continue improving the world’s largest living work of science-fiction!
Though we unfortunately were not able to welcome the council to Reykjavik this term for the yearly CSM summit, thanks to the flexibility and willingness of everyone involved, we managed to work around it and remained highly productive. Out of necessity, the world evolved – and we don’t want to stay too far behind. While we will always strive to host at least one summit per term, we don’t feel that the ability to attend one should be a requirement to run for the CSM as members can contribute and add value throughout the entire term’s length. For that reason, the CSM 17 elections will be more accessible than before by being open to players who might not want or be able to travel to Iceland.
Another improvement we are introducing this year is the 72-hour application average processing time. In the past, due to the way we announce confirmed candidates for the first time after the submission period is over, we noticed situations where players were disappointed when their candidate did not pass our thorough internal review process. Our hope here is to give you some buffer to re-evaluate your options or have time to find another candidate to put forward in the case of organized player groups.
CSM TERMS COME INTO EFFECT
Serving on the CSM is a feat, and even the most valuable members need to take a break to recharge their capacitors. Following the announcement of a three-year limit at the start of the CSM 15 Elections, we will have several current members go on cooldown for a year at the end of their term in June. We want to take this moment to thank them for their contributions and wish them an excellent year enjoying spaceships without the duties of a public CSM representative.
Members on cooldown this election:
All new Capsuleers who might not be familiar with the function and operations of the CSM are encouraged to check out this page for more information before diving into the details below.
- 2-16 May - Submissions Open
- 9-20 May - Application Processing
- 25 May - Live candidate announcement
- 25 May-5 June - Campaign period
- 7-14 June - Voting period
- 16 June - CSM17 Announcement
Important disclaimer: incorrectly filed or incomplete submissions will be rejected. The rules are unambiguous, but we are happy to answer any questions if you are unsure about the process. You can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for the CSM, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Your account must be older than 60 days at the time candidacy applications close.
- Characters on both Alpha and Omega accounts are eligible to run.
- You must have a history of honoring the EULA and the Terms of Service. We will screen every applicant thoroughly, and EULA/TOS violations on your record can result in a rejected application.
- If you are unsure if you qualify, we strongly encourage you to apply early, as applications are now processed in 72 hours.
- AFTER you receive confirmation that you have been greenlit as a candidate, you must create a campaign thread in the CSM section on EVE Online forums covering the following questions:
- Your EVE Online story.
- Your areas of expertise. In which areas of the game do you feel you are the most knowledgeable? What qualities set you apart from other candidates?
- Why are you applying for the CSM?
- What can players expect from you?
- You are free to add more information and manage your campaign thread as you see fit, but the above four questions are the bare minimum required from everyone.
- NOTE: Campaign threads for candidates that have not been approved might be removed to avoid confusion.
- Your account must have updated and correct information at the time of your application. This includes your real-life name, correct date of birth, and the same email you use to submit your application. To view and edit this information go to the account management website .
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age. If the legal adult age in your home country (the age at which you have the legal capacity to enter into a contract) is higher than 18, that number applies instead.
- As an applicant, you must consent to provide your personal details to CCP, including your real name and a copy of your passport or national ID card for those that do not plan to attend the CSM summit in person. CCP needs to affirm your real-life identity for NDA contract purposes.
- If you do not currently have a valid passport, we will accept a picture/scan of a valid and approved passport application accompanied by a picture of your national ID card.
- You must consent to share your country of origin with the EVE community and display it on the EVE Online website. You will not be required to share any other personal information.
- If you are running as an "alt" and controlling a character with a reputation in the EVE universe, CCP may require you to run under that identity at its full discretion.
All personal data will be handled in accordance with European data protection and processing laws.
HOW TO APPLY
There are three mandatory steps Capsuleers interested in running for the CSM 17 must take:
Fill in the application form between 2-16 May. Beware session time-outs that can refresh the page, and make sure to save your text in a document before. If you don't get confirmation, re-enter the information and try again.
Submit your document scans/pictures to email@example.com in high quality with the subject "CSM 17 application".
Create a forum thread in the CSM section on EVE Online forums. This step must be completed after you receive confirmation that your application has been both processed and approved.
Remember that applications cannot be edited after you submit them, so triple-check to see if the information entered is correct! We will be sending an email to all applicants, first to confirm that we received their application and second after the internal screening process is complete.
We warmly look forward to receiving your applications and following details of the many campaigns to come; we at CCP feel that we are far stronger and more effective at developing and maintaining the unique world of EVE side-by-side with the CSM. By banding together with common purpose and resolve, and by communicating with each other in a straightforward manner, we can realize our shared ambitions for the intrepid and limitless future of EVE Online.