Encounter Surveillance System Update
CONCORD has been working on a major upgrade to the Encounter Surveillance System (ESS) and the new version is finally ready to roll out. The new ESS will come online alongside the Dynamic Bounty System (DBS) and together they will reshape ratting in Nullsec as you know it.
The original ESS was meant to offer Nullsec residents the chance to juice up their systems with better bounty payments at the risk of having of their earnings stolen by roaming player pirates. The concept was strong but clever players highlighted several cases - including risk/reward-related and deployment location issues - that exhibited much opportunity for improvement. With lots of learning now in-hand, the aim is to revisit the concept with more focus on creating a flashpoint for conflict across Nullsec.
- The ESS is no longer optional and will be present by default in all Nullsec solar systems.
- The location of the ESS is public and sits behind an acceleration gate with specific ship class access.
- Payouts from the ESS happen automatically to contributing PvE bounty earners and no longer need to be retrieved in person.
Breaking the Bank
Like the current ESS, a percentage of bounties generated in the solar system will be delivered to the ESS rather than the player's wallet. Unlike the current ESS, the take will now be split between two banks:
- The Main Bank – This is where the majority of the money goes. It pays out automatically every 3 hours to contributors, but can be stolen from at any time by invaders.
- The Reserve Bank – This is the real jackpot. A smaller portion of each bounty is placed in the Reserve Bank where it sits until claimed by someone on grid who has a consumable key required to unlock it. When stealing from the Reserve Bank, you will be paid over time at a rate that spools up to a maximum then winds back down. You will get to decide how long this cycle takes to complete, and in turn, how much you stand to gain. These keys will be available via gameplay content at a later date, and its availability, as well as the timing of its release, will depend on how the players will interact with the ESS after going live. More information to follow later!
For those wanting nitty-gritty details, you will have to wait until the feature is live and log in to discover them.
Earn Your Keep
The new ESS will have a unique set of on-grid rules to encourage good fights and avoid troll-like tactics. The ESS rule set, which affects a 75km radius around the structure, contains the following:
- Warping is disabled
- MJDs are disabled
- MWDs are disabled
- Cloaking is disabled
- No cynos may be lit
- No filaments may be activated
Together, these conditions will demand commitment from anyone hoping to get their hands on someone else’s hard-earned ISK. Of course, the meta that develops around the ESS will be monitored and adjustments will be made as needed.
All-in-all there is much excitement to see how this new version of the ESS pans out. More action for residents and roamers alike will emerge as players plan heists and protect their space.
Fly it like you stole it!